Friday, October 21, 2005

High Country Fall

High Country Fall by Margaret Maron.

I occasionally read books by Margaret Maron despite the fact that I am usually not much for mysteries. I like them well enough, but they’re not my first choice and with so many books to read all the time they tend to fall to the bottom of the pile. Margaret Maron is a favourite of my mum’s, though, and so I used to periodically steal hers when I was still living at home.

I haven’t read any in a while (due to the no longer living at home), but one came through the library the other day and I picked it up, in need of a fairly mindless read. I am particularly fond of her Deborah Knott mysteries – I like reading mysteries with familiar characters, as I find it makes them easier to get into. This one was pretty standard – but then, that’s what I was looking for.

It’s good, I think, to occasionally read outside my box. Usually I stick to a pretty predictable collection of genres, although my horizons have expanded considerably in the last few years. Working at the library is great for that – I don’t feel I have to make such a decisive commitment to a book, since I never buy books any more. (Hardly ever, anyway.) These books are not exactly high literature, but they’re an amusing enough read and one that at least gives me some sense of other genres, which is useful when I’m asked for recommendations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home