Friday, October 21, 2005

Mortal Engines

Mortal Engines, by Phillip Reeve

I read this one for my YA Book Group (they do two books a month), and would never have picked it up otherwise. I’m glad I did, though – this book was innovative and interesting, but not one I’d usually be attracted to. It’s the story of a boy named Tom who lives in London, but a London of the Future that is constantly on the move. The cities of the future are mobile (called Traction Cities), with huge wheels taking them around the world in search of other cities and towns to devour, in order to power their city.

Tom, an apprentice Historian, is jolted into reality when his hero, Valentine, throws Tom out of the city after he discovers a deadly secret about Valentine. Left for dead, Tom must struggle to survive with only Hester Shaw, a disfigured orphan out for revenge, for a companion. Although the two get off to a rocky start, the development of their relationship is one of the major strengths of this book.

With an ending that takes some surprising and admirable risks, this is a book that could have been cutesy but ends up quite poignant. The commentary on nuclear is an obvious undercurrent, but it is never overdone. It is high praise to say that despite the hefty pile of books waiting for me at home, I immediately put the sequel to this on hold. (Also, proof that this book log is useful – I didn’t know there was a sequel until I looked up this one to double check the author’s name. Woo! I love it when that happens.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home