Thursday, November 10, 2005

Rituals of the Season

This is another Margaret Maron book featuring Deborah Knott, and I picked it up because it struck me as being closure of sorts for the character. I say that with no clue if she plans to write more Knott mysteries, but there was a certain element of wrapping things up to it. (Except I just looked it up and she's totally writing more. Oh well.)

The background to the mystery is the upcoming wedding of Deborah and Dwight, and the mystery itself features the mysterious death of a district attorney. I have to confess, I don't read mysteries because I like figuring out whodunnit and all that. I read them because they're quick, interesting, and I like the characters. I read too quickly to ever really spend time trying to solve the mystery myself - I figure it's faster just to zip through the book and let the author tell me. I know that's kind of against the point of the whole genre, but hey, I don't read them very often.

This was an enjoyable entry into the series, though, and Deborah Knott continues to be a character I'm fond of. I'm particularly partial to her 11 brothers, and I like the stories that weave them into things. If you aren't familiar with Margaret Maron and you like mysteries with spunky women characters, I highly recommend Deborah Knott's mysteries. She is a great character who manages to not be one-dimensional, which is always nice in these situations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home