Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Fourth Bear

by Jasper Fforde

This is the second book in the Jack Spratt Nursery Crimes Division series, following The Big Over Easy, which we read for book club last year. Fforde is also the author of the Thursday Next books, which I am very fond of.

This one was great. I have a deep and abiding love for puns, even when they make me fling myself off the chair groaning, and this book was absolutely ridiculously packed with them. I think my favourite was the ongoing discussion as to whether bears should be allowed to carry guns. That’s right…the right to arm bears. GROAN!

Anyway, it was a good read. Nothing terribly meaningful, not exactly deep, but amusing, clever, and engaging. I am quite fond of Jack Spratt and Mary Mary, and I’m looking forward to the next book in the series. (There’s another Thursday Next book coming out too.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home