Friday, December 09, 2005

The People of Sparks

This is the sequel to City of Ember, by Jeanne DuPrau, which was a YRCA book this year. I enjoyed the sequel, although not as much as I enjoyed the first book. It's the story of a colony of people from the City of Ember, an underground city, who escape from their dying city to emerge out into the light. It's an interesting concept, and one that works well for most of the story. There are elements of it that are less interesting, and overall the concept is not nearly as tight as it was in the first book. Still, it was a good read, and I'll read her next book. (Which, according to her website, will be related to the first two but not directly, which sounds like the concept that Lois Lowry used for her Giver follow-ups.) When I was a kid, I always enjoyed these post-apocalyptic stories, like Z is for Zachariah, one I was very fond of. These two books have one of the more interesting concepts of that world, and I found it to be a solidly created world, something that often falls apart in this kind of story.

So, overall, a good one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home