Friday, December 09, 2005

Everyone Worth Knowing

This book is by Lauren Weisberger, the author of The Devil Wears Prada, which I hated. You might ask yourself why I read this if I hated her first book, but I'm sort of masochistic like that sometimes. So many people loved Devil that I figured I should give her another shot.

Yeah, I hated this one too.

Fortunately, it appears that I am not alone in this opinion. Googling it brought me a delightful review titled, rather excellently, "Everyone Worth Knowing not worth reading". The New York Times Book Review called it a "fatuous, clunky second novel."

It's always nice when you feel a little vindicated about a book you hated.

It's basically the same gist as Devil - girl gets new job where she's totally out of her league, girl is annoyingly good at it while simultaneously believing herself far better than the others she works with, girl pretends to be just a regular gal despite the fact that her supposedly dull and cheap wardrobe is more expensive than any wardrobe of anyone I know. It's virtually impossible to have any sympathy for Bette, and her treatment of her friends is enough to make me really dislike her. The romance novel obsession was supposed to make her cute and likeable, but all it succeeeded in doing was making her seem even more vacuous than she already was.

Don't bother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home