Sunday, January 23, 2005

Fellowship of the Ring

I have finished the first book of the trilogy, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I remember enjoying it the first time. I think it helps to read it a second time, when you know where things are going and are in a better position to notice the overarching storyline and how it lines up. But I have to confess, I don't know if I would have read and enjoyed these books if it weren't for the movies. I probably would have read them, because Jamie loves them so much, but being able to picture things from the movie makes it a more interesting read, I think, and that's something I very rarely admit about a book that's been made into a movie.

These are such dense works, though, that I think the movies made me more able to pick out the descriptions and visualize them, something I don't usually do when I read. Tolkien has so, so much description that somebody (like me) who doesn't tend to pay much attention to description tends to get very bogged down in reading. But this time, I don't have to try to translate the words into pictures, something I'm awful at, because I know what they look like.

Anyway. I'm now wading through The Two Towers, and I'm still finding myself skimming some sections. Like the ents. I'm sorry, but he's just so freaking wordy! I like Treebeard, but occasionally I wish he'd be a little more hasty.

I'm curious to see how I react to the second section of the Two Towers. The first time I read it I got totally bored and annoyed with Sam and Frodo, and I kind of felt that way in the movies too. I realise that they are supposed to be the central story and everything, but I really prefer the rest of the Fellowship over them.

I took a brief break from LotR the other day to read First French Kiss and Other Traumas, a YRCA book in the senior category. It was very funny and well-written, and it kind of struck me as a David Sedaris-style book written with teens in mind. It was a quick read and I enjoyed it a lot. Given that most of the YRCA (Young Readers' Choice Awards) books this year have been grossly underwhelming, it was nice to read one that actually entertained me for a change. The senior ones in particular have just been...mediocre. Unfortunately, this is not a widely available book because it's not out in paperback, so there's just no way it's going to win because not enough people have read it. Now I feel like I'm gunning for an independent movie against Titanic at the Oscars, or something. It's a shame, really.

I have a ton of books out from work at the moment, and I ought to organize myself a little better to get going on some of them. Or return them and just accept that I can't read every book ever written. Sigh. Does anyone want to hire me to be a professional reader? Please?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home