Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Dreamhunter

by Elizabeth Knox

This was a book for my YA book group, which I’ve been slacking off in reading for lately. I actually finished this after the meeting, which is a good indication that it was a good read.

It’s the story of a world in which a parallel world, which can only be accessed by certain people (the dreamhunters), has dreams that can be caught and passed on to others. It’s a neat concept and it’s actually executed pretty well, despite the slightly predictable set up of the two cousins who are about to make their attempt to become dreamhunters.

The central story is that of using dreams as punishment, which is an interesting and horrible idea that totally reminded me of the BFG, now that I think about it. (The details aren’t quite the same but the concept is remarkably similar given how totally different the books are.) I loved the idea of the dream theatres, where a dreamhunter is on stage and everyone is asleep, dreaming the same dream.

It’s a good book, and I’d read the sequels. If I remember, which is always questionable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home