Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Knitting Under the Influence

by Claire LaZebnik

This book clearly did what it was supposed to do. I saw the title (in my regular trolls of the new books about knitting) and put it on hold without reading anything else about it, because I like reading about knitting. Fortunately, I got it from the library rather than buying it, because man, it was terrible. They’re obviously banking on the millions of knitters around the world doing exactly what I did: saying “oh, a book about knitting!” and reading it. The knitting is enough in the foreground that I wouldn’t think non-knitters would find it terribly interesting, but there is absolutely no detail given about any of the knitting itself.

Lame. The character are one-dimensional and irritating, the plot is flimsy and not very interesting, and there isn’t even enough knitting to keep me interested. Boo.

Did that stop me from putting Knitting Circle on hold? No it did not. That one’s even being made into a Julia Roberts movie! Not that that means it will be any good, but I can hope that there might be a modicum of plot. (Oh. I just looked at my list and realized that the Knitting Circle book is not the Julia Roberts one – that’s The Friday Night Knitting Club. Clearly this is a popular genre.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home