Thursday, March 10, 2005

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I decided that I should reread these before the movie comes out, so I tackled my five-in-one anthology a few weeks ago. I'm plodding through it - that sucker is BIG - and I'm enjoying most of it quite a lot. I have an unreasonable love for Marvin, and I am so freaking thrilled that Alan Rickman is doing his voice in the movie. That right there is brilliant casting.

There are a lot of truly brilliant moments in this trilogy. (In five parts.) The sperm whale and the bowl of petunias is one of my favourite scenes in all of literature, and it's been a couple of years since I've read them, so the payoff with the bowl of petunias had slipped my mind.

I am also very fond of the sofa and the mattress. The mental images that these books conjur are so bizarre that it's hard to resist. I'll be interested to see how the movie does with bringing those things to life. I've seen some of the old tv shows and it is, well, lacking, in certain areas. I've got slightly more faith in this movie just based on budget alone.

I'm up to So Long and Thanks for all the Fish, and it's not my favourite of the series. There's not enough wackiness and too much Fenchurch. A last minute addition character is never going to be as appealing as the established ones, and she's just kind of...eh. I don't know.

Anyway, this is taking up much of my reading time of late, but I'm almost finished so I can get into some of the other reading material that's haunting me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home