Thursday, March 17, 2005

The Time Traveler's Wife

Oh, man.

This book was glorious. I have an awful feeling that it might be one of those books that won't stand up as well to a second reading, or that it wouldn't do as well if I weren't a quick reader. But, be that as it may, this book just swept me up and sucked me into its world for two days.

I'm trying to straighten out how I feel about it and write about it before I fall out of the world, and it's hard. I'm not terribly convinced that it's the world's most romantic story, because there's something unromantic about falling in love with someone that you're absolutely sure you'll end up with. I think it's more the way their lives weave in and out of each other than appeals to me. Niffenegger really pulls off the story - the time travel is remarkably coherent, something I rarely find pulled off well - and the way the story unfolds is really intriguing. It's the kind of book that makes you really have to concentrate at times but at other moments just kind of carries you along.

It is also a book that is nearly impossible to explain. I don't know. It was good. It was very easy to read and once I got the hang of the time traveling it was very easy to follow. It was startling at times - the author didn't shy away from some harsh stuff - and it was also surprisingly compelling for a book where you pretty much know the ending. Mostly I'm amazed at how well the time travel works and impressed at how compelling a story about two not terribly appealing characters is able to be. The ending left me pretty cold - the book starts out a lot more strongly than it ends - but the overall story maintains itself.

Very good book. One of those stories that makes me want to just do nothing but read for a month or two. Ahhh. I love satisfying books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home